Conscious sedation is the safe and effective administration of drugs that relieve anxiety, increase relaxation, make the patient comfortable and reduce pain.
Understanding Conscious Sedation
Many procedures are performed safely, efficiently and cost-effectively using conscious sedation. Our dentists in London Road, Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, have years of experience using this method.
Goals of conscious sedation and analgesia:
- Maximise the patient’s safety
- Minimise discomfort and anxiety
- Maximise the success of the procedure
- Minimise recovery time
- Maximise cost-effectiveness of the treatment
The Benefits of Conscious Sedation
- Comfortable, practical and convenient for the patient and the surgeon
- Safe due to lower levels of medication administered
- Time-saving due to the quick recovery and no need for hospital admission
- Economical since no hospital stay, fewer side effects, and minimal time off work
- Recovery after sedation is much faster than with general anaesthesia
Conscious sedation is probably the fastest growing area in anaesthesia care and has become a very effective viable alternative to general anaesthesia for many surgical procedures.
The patient will come into our practice in Hertfordshire on the day of surgery and leave the same day, usually within one hour after the operation. In addition, there is a significantly lower incidence of side effects with conscious sedation, and the costs for conscious sedation are much lower than general anaesthesia.
Talking to the Hockerill team this morning was a massive help to me, discussing my fears beforehand really helped me and thank you for the tissues. I had my mind set that I had to get treatment as my teeth are ridiculous. Talking to the staff first helped me to understand I’m not alone and having you relay these fears to the dentist helped immensely as I don’t think I could have said it for myself.